Skip to main content

Starting A ‘Bridgerton’ Pelisse à la Lady Danbury

 

Lady Danbury’s pelisse in this scene is actually made of layers of organza! I’m not so bold. Mine is taffeta.

Have you caught Bridgerton fever? I have!

I absolutely adored the glimmering gowns, character-defining color palettes, and strong aesthetic voice of costume designer Ellen Mirojnick. And so, naturally, I’ve been inspired to create a Regency footwear collection for Fall 2021, and that means lifestyle photoshoots, yay!

And lifestyle photoshoots mean sewing, yay!

First up, Lady Danbury and her fabulous burgundy, wine, and purple wardrobe. She wears a couple pelisses and I’ve always loved these Regency garments. Whereas there are two sparkly non-HA evening gowns in the works, I wanted to go a little more accurate with the pelisse.

Lady Danbury’s lavender pelisse, much more fabulous than my make, but very inspiring.

I splurged on an intensely gorgeous burgundy figured silk taffeta from Silk Baron.

I’m using the Black Snail 1815 Empire Spencer or Redingote #0319. I got the PDF download and spent a lot of scotch tape assembling it. There are some confusing parts of the skirts pattern assembling that require cutting and extending (to save on printer paper, I guess). There are also some confusing match marks, or lack thereof, but generally speaking the pattern pieces match up well, fit, and are historically accurate in shape.

I made some changes to the pattern. The first was to fold back the overlap skirt front so that the opening is center front instead of on the side. The second was to add a grown-on lapel to the collar, which is easier than you might think and kindof fun. Just draw that shape right on there as big or small as you want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The {FREE} American Duchess Cape Pattern

  Click Here for the pattern Howdy! Since we put our Patreon to sleep, we needed to find a new place to host the  #ADCapeCult 1910s Wrap Cape pattern . So it’s going to be here! I have to host this on Google Drive, which means you will likely get a pop-up when you click “download” warning you that this might be hooky. I assure you it’s not – it’s just Google looking out for us. Download, enjoy, and tag #ADCapeCult on Instagram!

Plannings for a Regency Wardrobe

  or the “I have no idea what I’m doing” wardrobe. Reader, I have become complacent. I am far too comfortable in the late 18th century, to the point where I get decidedly nervous and befuddled when venturing into a new time period. The latest excursion is into the mid-Regency period, about 1804-1814. It’s never been a period I’ve been super-attracted to, but with Bridgerton-mania in full swing, I would like to add some items to my mostly-non-existent Regency costume closet. Ackermann’s Repository, Evening Dress, March 1814.  These pieces shall be… A basic white cotton evening gown A contrasting evening over-bodice A redingote/pelisse A day dress A wrapper or short gown Millinery – a fluffy cap, ruffled chemisette, and fur tippet I am not completely devoid of some pieces already. I have both the long and short Regency corsets from  Redthreaded , a couple basic linen shifts, a suspender-style cotton petticoat, long gloves, a couple reticules,  a great bonnet ,  shoes  and boots, and  sto

1780s Embroidered Italian Gown – Skirts and Sleeves

  In  the first pos t on this project, I constructed the bodice front and back. Now it’s time for skirts – the fun part – and sleeves – the evil part. Skirts first. My fabric was blessedly 60 inches wide, so I used two panels with the seam down the center back. I went for the smallest pleats I could, though honestly I’ve never been able to achieve those really tiny 1/4 inch ones, and I actually don’t think I even had enough fabric in the skirt to do so. An attempt at really small pleats I don’t think I had enough fabric in my skirt, even at 120″, to do those 1/4″ pleats so I ended up at about 3/8″ to 1/2″. My favorite thing about Italian gowns is how messy they are in the waist. You just turn up the bodice bottom edge, slap it on over the skirt, and stitch it on. The secret is to then split the center back of the skirt under the point and fold it down. This makes the skirt lay nicely around the deep V. Turn up and baste the bodice waist edge and slap it on straight over the pleated ski